The following is a summary of information that all potential candidates for Head of Council should be aware of before seeking election.
Persons eligible to be a candidate for Head of Council must meet all of the following criteria:
- a Canadian citizen;
- 18 years old or older on Election Day, October 26, 2022
- a resident of Manitoba
- a qualified voter of the Municipality; and
- not subject to disqualification under the Municipal Act of any other Act.
Becoming a candidate for Head of Council involves two important steps:
- Registration Process; and
- Nomination Process
Candidates for Head of Council must register with the Senior Election Official before soliciting donations or incurring any campaign expenditures.
Through this process, a candidate becomes authorized to commence an election campaign. The candidate must identify the account utilized for all funds, and their official agent. Once registered, the candidate will receive nomination papers.
Candidates must complete a registration form and all applicable consent forms. Candidates must submit these, in-person, to the Senior Election Official.
Registration for candidates for Head of Council begins on Sunday, May 1, 2022 and ends at 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 20, 2022.
Candidates must submit nomination papers which provide evidence of support from eligible voters.
Before a candidate is permitted to file nomination papers, they must have already filed their registration form. Nomination papers are provided to prospective candidates at the time of registration.
All nomination papers must be filed in-person with the Senior Election Official during the nomination period which begins on Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, September 20, 2022.
The deadline to file nomination papers is 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, September 20, 2022.
Nomination Papers for the Head of Council must have a minimum of 25 signatures of voters whose names appear on the voters list. Candidates must use the voters list provided to confirm that they have acquired the signatures of 25 eligible voters.
Nomination Forms must include:
- a statement by the candidate that includes his/her name, address and phone number and the office for which he/she is seeking election.
- A statement taken under oath by the candidate that he/she is qualified to be nominated and that to the best of his/her knowledge, the information provided in the nomination paper is true.
All nomination papers will be available for public inspection. A list of nominated candidates will be available on this website.