Government

Share This Page

Our History

Prior to 1884, the large area surrounding the City of Brandon was called Brandon County. This county was subdivided and one subdivision became known as the Municipality of Cornwallis.

Settlers came to the area because of the rich soils and helped Brandon grow into a bustling centre that continues to serve the surrounding farmland and smaller settlements of the area. The RM of Cornwallis was officially incorporated in 1884.